Saturday, July 30, 2011

Our First Little Package

We have been encouraged by other adoptive families and our agency to send Asher a care package.

While we wait and wait for our LOA (it really has only been 20 days since LID), this will help us to feel as if we are a part of his life. I know he probably won't understand much, but his caretakers will. In fact, sometimes I have heard that when they get a care package for a child that is often the first time they "hear" about that particular child being adopted soon. I feel a little sad that they might find out this way. But I have no idea of knowing if they know or not yet, and at least they will see that we desire to be involved.

We could send it ourselves or have someone like Ann at Red Thread do it for us, directly in China.  We opted for this package to come from Ann. She is Chinese and has worked with these orphanages for 5 years now. She has often been able to get photos and updates on the child, often ahead of the US adoption agencies. (We asked for an update from our agency a week ago, but no word yet. I hope that comes soon too.)


She also doesn't charge very much more for doing this than I would pay for to do it myself. She will give me a quick update on when it was delivered and what she could find out about the child for us. She requests this information on our behalf.

For the package we put in a disposable camera (hoping the family will take some photos of him for us and pass it along back on Gotcha Day.) We also put in some tea and cookies as a gift for the foster family.

We added this cute little child's photo album and sent 6 pictures of our family to be put into it.





We put in a child's book.

 
And we sent this sweet little panda bear for him.




Ann also is translating a short little note to the orphanage, that I wrote. I felt some pressure, as I only had a maximum of 400 letters and this is our first personal "communication" to the care takers. I couldn't say much, but I did let them we know feel very honored to be adopted him soon. I told them we already love him in our hearts. I thanked them for the loving and good care they are giving him. I also requested some photos if it was possible. I hope they pass it along to the foster family, but they may not.
  

I hope to have some new news about him so very soon. It has been 5 long months since we had any information, and that was even 3 months old. I am imagining that he looks and acts a lot different from his 9 month old medical report. He is not really a baby anymore, but I am sure has his own personality, with likes, dislikes and little ways that are unique to him. 



I will post our news as soon as we have it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment