Sunday, June 26, 2011

All of Us Were Once Orphans

John 14:18 "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you."


Christ tells his disciples that when he is gone he will not leave them as orphans, bur rather send his spirit to live in them. He knew what it would be like for them to be alone without him and he comforted them. The King James version says "I will not leave you comfortless;" and the New Living Translation says, "I will not abandon you as orphans; I will come to you."


The little boy my heart is already attached to, whom I have never met and who has no fathomable idea he will have a new family by his 2nd birthday, needs to not be abandoned. God in his great sovereign mercy will allow this child to come into a family. Yes, we believe he is in a foster family today. We are not sure that he still is and likely it would only last part of his life. He would then be on his own. His medical needs may never be met if he stays in China. Likely, he would have a difficult life ahead of him. Our family will be his "forever Family". He will become our son. We desire to help him heal from his traumatic loss.


God was the "Father" to the Israelites. He was Creator to all things, but he was their Father. But our Creator did not leave it there. Romans 4:16 says, "Therefore, the promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace and may be guaranteed to all Abraham's offspring- not only to those who are of the law but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham. He is the father of us all."


The Hebrew people believed they were only the rightful children to the Father of God, through Abraham's offspring. Here in Romans we are told that Abraham is the father to all of us who have faith.

Romans 8:14 says, "because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God."

It is not that we are born into God's family, but that by faith we are called by Him into His family and He becomes our Daddy. He chooses us to become adopted.

I am still trying to understand God's predestination, according to his purpose, but I do believe the Word in Romans 8:30, "And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified."


Asher is still so young and it will be some time until we know what his faith will be. I do believe and have faith that God has called Jay and me to adopt this little boy. He will become our son, we have chosen to adopt him. I don't claim to know what his future holds with us as his family. Instead, I walk in faith as one of God's children, knowing that the Lord directs our paths, including Asher's. I wish he could be sitting at his "rightful" home today, being loved by his mother. I wish that it wasn't because of his loss, that I will gain a son. Oh, how I grieve over that.


I grieve that our God gave up his son, to die, because of our sin. Romans 8:32, "He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all-how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?"


Lord, please help me to be a sacrificial mother to my children- each of my, soon to be eight, children you have given.

0 comments:

Post a Comment