Monday, April 11, 2011

Another New Blog

I have begun this blog to share our journey to China, to adopt Asher Charles Quan. I also plan to talk about adoption in general.

James 1:27


 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

Not every Christian is called to adopting an orphan, but everyone of us is called to "look" after them.
For Jay and I we believe our calling is adoption.

I have, for years had a heart tugged toward orphans and wanting to really give them a mother and father, a family. For me it began in the days of watching the starving children of Ethiopia as a 13 year old, to seeing video footage of the Russian orphanages in the 90s, and then actually meeting families who adopted, the last 10 years or so.


As I became a mother time and time again to my "tummy babies", my heart only felt more compassion and longing to show an orphan child what motherly love they were missing. A person who would protect, love unconditionally and disciple that child to live for Christ. I am not at all a perfect mother and I make many mistakes, but I knew my heart and desire, along with God's help would be just would I needed to fulfill that roll for an orphan.


Jay, has always been a very involved and loving father to our children. At first, he wasn't sure he could give of himself anymore. But as time went on, the Lord impressed on him so much that He would be his source of everything, even a father to the fatherless, Jay could not turn back.
Today he is probably more involved in our adoption emotionally than I am.


Since we have been matched already, with a precious 1 year old boy from China, I have been falling in love with his photo. But, I have to admit, because things aren't moving as quickly as I would like and we have run into a few stresses with the homestudy, I have been guarding my heart. I believe God brought us to this point, and He will see it to completion. But walking through it day by day, or hour by hour, hasn't been easy for me. I know when I see this little boy in person and get to hold him in my arms, I will fall head over heels for him. But I have to admit right now, I am scared a little bit. I am scared someone is going to say, "We are sorry, we changed our minds, you can't adopt this little boy." I know I need to put my worries in God's lap. I tell you, I have been doing this a lot lately. Some of my new words are, "He is your child, God. This is your money, God. This adoption is yours, God. I am your child, God." I have to say them out loud several times before I actually "believe" what I am saying at times.


I am so thankful to have an easy-going, sensible husband who keeps directing me toward God's truth about adoption. I praise God for him. This process has made me fall in love with him, all over again. It is sort of like when you have a biological child together and you see your husband in a whole new way and you begin to love him for the first time in huge, different ways. Adoption has brought another new way for me to appreciate and love this man God has blessed me with.

I can't post any pictures of this little boy on the blog yet, not until China gives us an official Letter of Approval, also called LOA. We hope to have that in maybe 4-5 months. Please pray for our homestudy to really, finally get approved this week. It is a long frustrating story as to why it hasn't been already. But like I said before I am learning to trust God even in that.









1 comments:

Lisa said...

April - I can completely relate to falling in love with my hubby all over again through each of our adoptions! I am praying for your adoption to go quickly and smoothly from this point on and that your sweet Asher will be home in your arms so very soon! Our God is an awesome God and we know adoption is so near to His heart. Love you guys!

Post a Comment